Tuesday 23 April 2013


VINTAGE WORK IN PROGRESS - Lacy Jumper

It's all about the vintage patterns at the moment. I am sure it will pass someday, but for now I am going to try and conquer them until my heart is content. 

My next victim is the Greenock Lacy Jumper. I purchased the pattern for just 1,50 GBP of the great www.fab40s.co.uk, somewhere here. I love it because it just looks so gorgeous and wearable, not to mention the fab neckline. Don't know about the cat and the hairdo though, might leave those out. 





Materials:

Yarn: Jamieson & Smith 2 Ply Jumper Weight
Colourway: Shade 095
Needles: 3mm (ribbing) and 3,5mm circular needle (lace)

Knitting log:


14/4: Vintage pattern purchased from www.fab40s.co.ukfor 1,50 GBP.
14/4: Shetland wool (2 ply jumper weight) ordered from Jamieson & Smith. Hopefully the lovely shade of pink on the photo resembles the actual colour.
16/4: Yarn has arrived and the colour is lovely. The texture of the wool is VERY scratchy though. I’m a bit princess on the pea with what I like to wear next to my skin but I am going to give it a go. Knitted a swatch, washed it with shampoo and soaked it in conditioner which did soften the fabric. Then blocked.
19/4: The blocked swatch seems to indicate that the gauge of this yarn is pretty much the same as the original Greenock yarn (6,5 to 7 stitches to the inch on lace pattern). I have decided to go for the medium size.
20/4: Cast on 240 stitches on a circular needle to knit the bodice in the round as front and back are  the same until the armholes. I calculated 240 stitches because: 121 stitches x 2, but minus one stitch at the beginning of both front and back as I will not be seaming them together.
The yarn catches on itself like velcro while knitting with it. For that reason I have decided to replace the twisted rib with half moss stitch because it was hard to keep any momentum going while having to knit in the back of the stitch all the time.

No comments:

Post a Comment